Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review: Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Scott Pilgrim is your ordinary 22 year old. He spends his days hanging with his roommate Wallace and his nights playing bass with his band, "Sex Bob-omb." Scott Pilgrim's precious little life is soon disrupted when a mysterious pink haired girl blazes through his dream at night, causing more than a little bit of obsession on his part. Soon, he meets the pink haired girl named Ramona and they begin a relationship. What she forgets to tell Scott, is that in order to date her, he has to defeat her seven evil exes. Scott Pilgrim's life just got real.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" felt like it was tailor made for me and my generation. This film is filled with video game, music and film references that I not only understood, I downright REVELED in them. Everything about this film was done to please one audience and one audience only. However, the core story is so real and sweet that I firmly believe anyone can pop into Scott Pilgrim and be overtaken by the great love story the nerdtasticness is centered around.

Scott fights extremely hard for Ramona's heart. Each one of her exes representing insecurity and trust issues that have plagued her her entire life. They have fueled her need to keep moving and not be tied down, but Scott is different and willing to prove it. I have no problem admitting that I (and most guys) have (or have at one point had) that girl in our life. This is the key element to making "Pilgrim" work boy did it win me over.

All of the performances are top notch, including Michael Cera who really grew a personality for this film and channels the Scott of the comic-books to a tee. Mary-Elizabeth Winstead really works well as the fiery Ramona and Kieran Culkin made me laugh pretty much every time he was on screen. The league is all very good as well and Jason Schwartzman is so absolutely despicable that I forgot how much I actually like that guy.

On a visual level, Scott Pilgrim rivals "Inception" in terms of inventiveness. The world Edgar Wright has created here is full of floating words to indicate actions and people can grab 1-ups in case they die. The battle with exes five and six was a piece of eye candy for the ages and left me stunned in my seat at what I had just witnessed. 2010 is shaping up to be quite the year for visually striking films and this is no exception. The other thing Wright does that really impressed me, was his use of time. The film is under two hours, yet condenses all six books perfectly into its runtime. Not an easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

"Scott Pilgrim vs. The World" is a madcap journey through love, insecurity, self-respect and being young wrapped up in a love letter to pop culture. Visually arresting and emotionally honest, this is a generational milestone that will find a massive fan base on DVD and hopefully turn some people onto one of the most epic romances of the new millennium. This is really a Romeo and Juliet for the Nintendo generation and I loved every last minute of it.

My Rating - 9.5/10

No comments: