Friday, June 24, 2016

STEVEN SPIELBERG STILL BELIEVES IN THE 80'S



Steven Spielberg has been acquiring projects left and right lately and isn't showing any signs of slowing down. During a press round table for his latest film, THE BFG, he was asked about the 80's-pop culture nostalgia that permeates his next film, READY PLAYER ONE, he had this to say:
"I think we were pretty awesome in the 80's. I hope this brings all of us back to the awesomeness of the 80's and lets me do anything I want...except with my own movies."
When it was brought up that the book's author, Ernie Cline drives around in a DeLorean and the plethora of references to Spielberg's work in the 80's he responded with:
"I cut all the references to my own movies. With a couple exceptions, like the DeLorean. And I was very happy to see that there was enough that even without me the 80's were a great time to grow up."
So there you go, Spielberg is all in on the 80's for READY PLAYER ONE. The film takes place in a dystopian future where everyone is obsessed with a SECOND-LIFE style video game. When the creator of the game dies, he sets in motion a quest to find his heir by way of a dangerous treasure hunt. I really didn't get the hype surrounding the novel, and if it were any other director, I would likely feel the same way about the film. The story does take place in a very cool world and the premise is A+, I just found the book to be meandering and a little bit too in love with Dungeons and Dragons style world building. The good news is that Steven Spielberg is one of the greatest directors of all time and can easily handle all of that world building, nostalgia, and then some so I can't wait to see what he does with this property! Do you agree with Spielberg's claim that we were awesome in the 80's? Let us know! Disney's THE BFG opens July 1, 2016


Source: Birth.Movies.Death.

No comments: